Monday, August 26, 2013

How to add your artwork to a candle..


I have got many question about how I make my candles with my artwork so Im going to try to show you how I do. Hope you follow, my english is far from perfect but Ill try.. :)



This is what I use:
candle
siscours
tape
copy paper
silk paper
heat gun.. 
and 
a waxpaper 
see next photo..



The waxpaper, I forgot to add him to the first photo...


I take the copy paper and the silk paper and tape the silk paper on to the copy paper.



You can see the tape on the left side, I only tape it one side.
Next I take it to my printer and make sure that you are having the silk paper big enough for your photo and that the printer is going to print on the silk paper side.
Yes.. the silk paper drinks my ink... and Yes I did have to take my printer apart once so tape the silk paper nicely and add tape all the way not only in the middle.



Now I have printed my artwork on the silk paper and the next step is to cut the lady out..



It is good to leave few mm white in the bottom and 1-2 mm on the top 



I dont know what this is called but Im going to call it heat gun.



You see the tine white line on the top



I place my photo on the candle and wrap the wax paper around tight, but only one round.. 


Here I did have to move my hand to take the photo but I do hold the paper tight so my photo does not move. You can see where the wax has begun to melt from the wax paper, I did start above her eye.



I I do work like this till the wax has melted all the way, be careful, not come to close to the candle with you heat gun, If the candle is getting to much heat it will start melt and we don´t want that to happen. You can stop and move your fingers over your picture and start again, nothing will happen. Do the edge well. 


Da..ra.. remove the wax paper


And it is ready....



These I did yesterday, going to take them to the gallery. 

You are welcome to leave a message and tell me what you think :)

On the right you can see a badged from the class I have signed up to for next year. It is called Soul Food and is hosted by Mystele, Jeanette and Heater and I think it is going to be a wonderful class with lot of interesting teachers. If you click on the little beautiful bird it will take you to the class page where you can read about the class.

Happy PPF to all of you ;)



25 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous way to put your art out there. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I wanted to ask about the silk paper. Is there a particular brand for this? I have not seen this in my area so I would need to get it online. Do you have any sources for this?

    Thanks,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate. I dont know if it is the same but might be, tissue paper... but this is a very thin paper, In Iceland it is often used in flower shops or in fine cloth shops to wrap around cloths before it is packed in a fine box.. does it say you something. If not Ill try to find out :)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic tutorial....xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tutorial. I have done something like this years ago - only with stamped images. The candles are wonderful and a great way to offer your art for sale! The silk paper you describe sounds like what we call tissue paper in the US and that's what I used when I covered candles with stamped images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tutorial, thanks so much. HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea! They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous candles! You did a great job with your English for this tutorial. I have only tried stamping onto tissue paper and adhering it to a candle much the same way you have here. never thought about printing artwork to use. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this Linda, so much fun to make :-)

      Delete
  8. This is a fabulous post! I'm going to have to try this. thanks for making the tutorial. And, of course I love seeing your artwork on anything - and the candles is just superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope that you will try this, just ask If you have some questions :-)

      Delete
  9. Awesome tutorial Sigga... and with my favorite piece!!! Just love her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful idea Sigga. The candle look awesome. Love your work. I am going to give this a try some time soon Thanks.
    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a super cool idea. I must pin it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow is what popped out for me too! These look amazing! HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful candles, thank you for the tutorial! These make perfect gifts!

    ReplyDelete